Listen and watch the Alphabet of Nations song by They Might Be Giants (Here Come the ABCs)
Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Dominica, Egypt, France, The Gambia.
Hungary, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Libya and Mongolia.
Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Russia, Suriname.
Turkey, Uraguay, Vietnam, West Xylophone, Yemen, Zimbabwe
1) Rehearse and perform a dance to go with the song. Can you learn the words and tune off by heart?
2) Use house hold objects as instruments and create a rhythm pattern to play along with the song.
3) Have a look at an atlas. Can you find all the countries that are named in the song
Read and listen to The Ning Nang Nong
On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
Is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!
1) Rehearse and perform the whole poem with actions and sound effects.
2) Use house hold objects as instruments and convert the poem into a piece of music – you can play the poem as a melody line or take little phrases and then each one into an ostinato pattern
3) Can you compose a tune to go with the words? Use your voice or any tuned instrument to devise a melody. Try using the pentatonic scale: A C D E G
A Dragonish Cloud by BD James uses an extract from Shakespeare’s play Anthony and Cleopatra. The first section describes the different shapes we can spot in clouds.
1) Have a go at listening to the song and learning it. The backing track features a male singing voice, so remember to sing it comfortably for your voice.
2) Have a go at writing your own lyrics about things you see in the clouds – can you fit your words to the same tune?
3) Do you play an instrument? Have a go at playing the melody.